Fire / Burn Permits


  • FIRE PERMITS AVAILABLE AT THE CORNERS STATION SATURDAYS 8am-12pm or as available (free service)
  • PERMITS AVAILABLE DAILY AT IW STATION or as available (free service)
  • A 3.00 fee is charged for this service. This is a State charge for site maintenance

All property owners kindling an outside camp fire or cooking fire in a ring or in a chimnea type device must secure a seasonal burn permit. This is a free service. Any new installation of a Firepit or Chiminea requires site inspection prior to permit issuance.



Category I Fire - Means a small controlled fire, such as a camp or cooking fire no greater than 2’ in diameter contained within a ring of fire resistive material or in a portable fire place. A category 1 fire, conditions permitting, maybe kindled with a permit any time of day whether raining or not. Fire ring must be 25 feet from any structure. Seasonal permits are valid through the end of calendar year.

Category II Fire - Means a controlled fire, such as a camp or cooking fire no greater than 4’ in diameter contained within a ring of fire resistive material or in a portable fireplace. A category II fire, conditions permitting, may only kindled with a permit between the hours of 5pm -9am unless it is actually raining, fire ring must be 50 feet from ay structure. Category II permits are issued seasonally and they are valid until end of calendar year.

Category III Fire - Means any other fire not category I or category II or a fire greater than 4’ in diameter or a fire not contained within a ring of fire resistive material. Fire must be a minimum of 50 feet from any structure. A category III fire, conditions permitting, may only be kindled between the hours of 5pm -9am unless it is actually raining, these permits are typically issued for up to 3 days.

Click here to view the "Understanding Fire Danger - Ratings & Descriptions" flyer.

Category I or Category III seasonal permits require a onetime site inspection prior to first time issuance.


Gilmanton-Fire Rescue provides the following permits at no charge to the taxpayers of Gilmanton. permits may be obtained at either fire station.

The State of NH now offers online permitting. The State charges a 3.00 convience fee for this service. Permits may be obtained here.

Outdoor Burning Regulations

  • Fire permits are required for ALL outside fires. 
  • Fire permits must be obtained by the landowner, at the Gilmanton-Fire Rescue on NH Route 140.
  • Fires are permitted without a permit when the ground has adequate snow cover. Please contact the fire department prior to burning to assure there is adequte snow coverage.
  • You cannot burn on another person's property without their written permission. 
  • You must have a burn permit for all portable stoves (i.e., clay pot stoves, metal, etc.) A year-round permit will be issued which will be good until December 31st of the current year it is issued.

Time Of Day You Can Burn

  • Burning is permitted between 5pm & 9am, fire must be out at 9am
  • Fires during the day are permitted during heavy rain, but at the discretion of the Fire Chief.

Burn Conditions

  • Someone MUST stay with the fire at all times 
  • Fires cannot be extinguished by burying. 
  • You must be capable of extinguishing the fire at any time. 
  • You may be financially responsible for property damage, if you lose control of the fire. 


  • Plastic of any kind
  • Rubber products, including tires 
  • Paint buckets or brushes 
  • Painted or treated lumber or wood 
  • Tar paper or shingles 
  • Wood over 5inches in diameter 
  • Insulation including no wire insulation 
  • Styrofoam 
  • Fiberglass 
  • Sheetrock 
  • Stumps or log

Please feel free to call the Gilmanton Fire-Rescue should you have any questions.
For All Emergencies: 9-1-1 
Non-Emergency Numbers: Iron Works Station (603) 364-2500 or Corners Station (603) 267-8466