Printer Friendly Version  
Town Offices will be Closed Monday, February 19, 2018 for President's Day...

Requirements for Obtaining a Building Permit for a NEW Building or Addition:

1.      Application:
Completed and signed by the Property Owner.

2.      Septic System Approval:
Approved by State of New Hampshire DES and given an approval number.

3.      Driveway Permit:
For a town road - Apply at the town office - Permit issued by the Town of Gilmanton Road Agent.
For a state road - Apply to
the State of New Hampshire Department of Transportation.
If a private road in the Sawyer Lake area, contact the Sawyer Lake Association, in addition to a Town approved driveway permit.

4.      Site Plan*:
Draw to scale, indicating the size and location of all new and existing structures.
See Article IV Table 2
______ Distances from all four lot lines.
______ Distances from right-of-ways.
______ Road frontage.
______ Distances from any water bodies, wetlands and streams in accordance with the current Zoning Regulations.
*This information is required in all instances even if all setbacks are met.

5.      Building Plans* (scaled to 11 x 17 paper or larger):
Drawn to scale with details of all proposed construction.
______ Foundation plans including steel in the footings and walls.
______ Framing plans including all evaluation of framing, floors, halls, and roof structures.
______ Insulation thickness and "R" values.
______ Specification of materials.
______ Detailed floor plans for each floor with all dimensions and use of rooms indicated.
______ Dimensions of windows in bedrooms showing 5.7 sq. ft. minimum of clear opening.
______ NH Residential Energy Code Compliance.
* This information is required for outbuildings as well as dwelling units.

6.      Lot and Building Compliance with all Town Ordinances:
The following approvals must be obtained, if applicable:
    a. Zoning Variance or Special Exception
    b. Recorded Subdivision
    c. Recorded Site Plan Review
    d. Historic District Commission
    e. Recorded Notice of Limits of Municipal Responsibility and Liability for private roads

7.      Lot of Record/Proof of Ownership (if recently purchased)

8.      Building Permit Fees:
Fees are Non-Refundable Processing Fees According to the Permit Fee Schedule.


Documents and Forms top of page
    Federal Flood Insurance - Federal Flood Insurance is now available in the Town of Gilmanton
Trailer Coach Permit Application - If you wish to reside in a trailer on your property you must fill out an application and submit it to the Town office with $120.
Building Packet - What you need to know and present to get a building permit.

Click on the image to view a larger version
top of page
  Name Title Phone E-Mail Term Length Term Expiration
  Annette Andreozzi  Land Use Admin.  (603) 267-6700 11   
  Building inspector/code enforcement  Building Inspector  (603) 267-6700   

Frequently Asked Questions top of page
    Cost of Permits?
Many different fees apply depending upon what permit you are applying for. Please review the Building Packet on this website.

Do I need a permit for a new well and septic system?
A state of New Hampshire permit is required to install, or to newly construct a septic system, but not a town permit. No a permit is not required for a well. For wells and septic systems a State of New Hampshire licensed Well Water Contractor and a State of New Hampshire licensed Septic System Installer are required.

Do I need a septic system design to convert my seasonal property to a year-round property?
Yes. A State of New Hampshire licensed Septic System Designer would have to design a state approved septic system if one does not exist and it needs to be installed. An existing system needs an evaluation by a licensed designer.

Does the Town have a Plot Plan for my property?
Available for purchase in the Selectmens Office are reduced sized tax maps or you can go to "tax maps" under assessing on this website to print a map of your lot. A search to see if the property has a survey can be made at that time after paying a research fee.

Does the Town have a Septic Plan for my property?
Septic design plans were not required until 1967, so if your home and septic were built prior to 1967, we will not have a plan and in some cases on homes built after 1967 there also might not be a copy. The best way to obtain septic info is to go to and search for your site by clicking on "one stop".

How do I arrange for a building inspection?
Call the Selectmens Office (267-6700)after making sure your work is ready for inspection.

How do I get a Building Permit?
An application may be picked up in the Selectmens Office located at the Academy Building, 503 Province Road. For information, please call 267-6700.

How often should I pump my septic tank?
It is recommended that the tank be pumped every two to three years.

How often should I test my well water?
It is recommended to first test soon after a new well is installed, thereafter, every three to five years, whenever there is a change in property ownership, or whenever there is noticeable change in the water quality; including changes in taste, odor or color.

I want to build a house. Can you tell me what I need to do?
Review the Gilmanton Zoning Ordinance,then obtain a "Building Permit Packet" from the Selectmens Office or this site, which will give you all the steps you need to file a building permit. Prior to a permit being granted, the building inspector assures that all zoning, codes and regulations are met.

Is part of my land considered wetlands and do I need a permit to fill my land?
A State of New Hampshire licensed Wetlands Scientist would have to do an investigation on your property to determine if wetlands are present. If wetlands are present and you would like to fill them, a State of New hampshire Dredge and Fill Permit would have to be obtained prior to the filling.

When do I need a Building Permit?
You need to obtain a building permit for any new construction or altering any existing construction. Generally, you do not have to obtain a building permit to make repairs, although there are exceptions to this rule. Additions, adding a wood-burning stove, finishing an attic or basement, or changing interior walls are examples of alterations that require a building permit. A hot tub requires a building permit. Deck, pool, shed, or garage require a building permit.

Links top of page
    Federal Flood Insurance